Zeiss 18mm F2.8 Batis Lens - Sony E Mount
Sorry, currently out of stock
The Zeiss 18mm f2.8 lens with Sony E-mount joins the Batis family of full-frame AF lenses with an extremely wide-angle of view and fast f2.8 aperture. Designed for professionals, the lens offers superb image quality across the entire image field and will be of particular interest to photographers who shoot landscapes, cityscapes, architecture and the night sky.
Batis 18mm f2.8: Key Features
- Diagonal angular field of 99 degrees, making it ideal for landscape, architechtural and astro photography, along with unique interior shots of small spaces
- Currently the shortest autofocus full-frame lens with fixed focal length on the market
- Impressive image quality across the entire image field
- Innovative OLED display to show focus distance and depth of field
- Optics based on the ZEISS Distagon optical design, featuring 11 lens elements in ten groups
- The floating elements design allows for consistently high image performance in the focal plane - from the minimum object distance to infinity
- Creative freedom with the option of manual or autofocus
- Dust and weather sealed
The ZEISS Batis lens family
"The ZEISS Batis 2.8/18 follows on from the highly successful first two focal lengths the ZEISS Batis 2/25 and the ZEISS Batis 1.8/85. In spite of the extremely wide angle, we have succeeded in adapting the image quality of the ZEISS Batis 2.8/18 perfectly to the two different lens types," says Dr. Michael Pollmann, Product Manager of ZEISS Camera Lenses.Â
"With the expansion of the ZEISS Batis range of lenses, we are offering creative and discerning photographers yet another professional tool," says Pollmann. With the ZEISS Batis 2.8/18 customers can now enjoy the super wide-angle full-frame lens theyâ€™ve been waiting for.
The super wide-angle lens for a new era
The very large field angle of this super wide-angle lens is perfect for creative shots with unusual perspectives. Consistently excellent image quality right into the corners makes the lens perfect for the challenges of, for example, landscape, astro and architectural photography.Â
The ZEISS Batis autofocus lenses were specially developed for mirrorless full-frame system cameras from Sony. The lenses are fully compatible with all E-mount cameras and offer not only fast, quiet autofocus, but also protection against dust and spray water. For creative photography, the innovative OLED display shows the distance and depth of field to ensure that the focusing range can always be perfectly set. The result: images that will amaze you. The completely new design of the high-speed ZEISS Batis family offers perfect image quality.
Originally developed for SLR cameras in which, due to the mirror box, a long back focal distance is required for short focal lengths (the distance between the back lens element and the film plane must be considerably longer than the focal length), the Distagon lenses (retrofocus design) are also ideal for mirrorless system cameras thanks to their optimized ray path. This also enables excellent image performance with large image angles for digital camera systems without mirrors.
Smooth and reliable autofocus
The design of the autofocus system requires an extremely accurate shifting of particular lens groups. The focusing system of ZEISS lenses is designed to ensure a robust and smooth-running autofocus mechanism with the best imaging performance.
Versatile full-frame lens
The powerful lens for the mirrorless full-frame system of Sony fulfills the highest requirements. Despite its compact design, the image meets the expectations of professional photographers.
Excellent resolution and high contrast
Richly saturated and vivid colours are a must in the creation of lasting impressions. However, stray light within an optical system leads to a lightening of the image that is particularly noticeable in the shadows. This reduces image contrast, with the result that exposures lack contrast and appear faded. To avoid this, ZEISS combines various specially developed technologies to reduce the undesirable effects of stray light.
Robust and weatherproof metal construction
Thanks to features that are designed to keep out dust and spray water, the lens is perfectly suited for critical outdoor conditions. It is also designed for many years of intensive use.
Innovative OLED display
For the first time, you can accurately read the focus distance and depth of field simply and intuitively on the OLED display on the lens. Especially in poor light conditions â€“ excellent readability is always guaranteed.
Batis lenses: A new era for professionals
Take your professional photography to the next level! The fast, quiet autofocus ensures a high-precision focus in every situation. You also benefit from excellent image performance in a compact system. Now you are perfectly equipped for the future and nextgeneration photography!
Excellent Image Quality
- Optimal performance for full-frame sensors
- High luminous intensity for more creative freedom
- Uniform color characteristics within the lens family
- Fast autofocus and handy focusing ring for ultra-precise manual focusing
- Distance and depth-of-field indicators with OLED display
- Fully compatible with mirrorless full-frame system cameras from Sony
- Weather and dust protection for use in extreme conditions
- Highly robust yet lightweight housing for many years of use
- Innovative product design